Mar 24, 2014

Daily Quote

"It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness."
-Charles Spurgeon
People tend to put themselves in the mindset of 'if I get more stuff, I will be happier.' Well, I am here to tell you that this is not true. I have told you in the past and I will tell you again: objects don't bring happiness. Perhaps an object belonged to your late grandmother. You may argue that the object brings you happiness because it makes you think of your grandma. Well, it isn't the actual object that is making you happy, it is the sentimental value and memories behind it. Another example is a really old and beaten up plush lamb I got when I was born. For the longest time, I thought it was the object that made me happy. I realize now that it is the fact that it is as old as I am or maybe the fact I hadn't gone a night without it with me in my room or on my bed (unless she was lost or I was on vacation). It was the time I had spent with her. The love I had poured on her as I pretended she was real. It was all of those telepathic conversations we shared to help me work through a problem once (when I was really little). It was all of those times when I laughed with her when I was happy or those times when I cried into her mangled fur when I was sad. It is the more important things behind the actual object that make it special: time, love, care, family heirloom, etc. So getting more objects and physical 'things' won't make you happier... How much you enjoy them and in what ways are what makes them special.

No comments:

Post a Comment