Mar 26, 2013

Great Story

This is a true story.

   My teacher, Rev, is truly an angel. She walks alongside God every day of her life, and she tells the most amazing stories. She runs this after school activity we call 'Serving on the Sevens' where anyone can sign up to go and do a service project. It is called this because these projects take place on all of the sevens of a month: the 7th, 17th, and 17th of each month. So anyway, she was at an seniors center with some people who suffered from memory loss. The woman that worked at the shelter noticed all of the students calling her Rev. and asked if she was a reverend. When she said yes, she asked my teacher if she could come and do communion another day for them. Rev agreed.
   When she was got there later on, she kind of walked into the room, prepared to do communion, but she wasn't very excited. All 8 or 9 of the elderly people were just staring at her with blank eyes, so she decided to go around and introduce herself. It was very sad. None of them knew their name. So she did the communion and closed in prayer. She thought she should do Psalm 23 and the Lord's Prayer and a few others, because those tended to be ones that older people connected with the most. She said the prayers. No response from the people. Feeling awkward, she walked over to the piano in the corner, thinking that she should bring some students in one time to play some music for them.
   One woman by the name of Daisy noticed her in the corner there, and in a muffled voice said 'Music.' Then the most miraculous thing happened. She began to sing a hymn. Slowly and one by one, each and every single one of the people in the room began harmonize and sing along with her. When that song was over, they began another one.
   My teacher was amazed. These people, who couldn't even remember their own names, were all coming together as one and singing these hymns beautifully from memory. This is a miracle, a true witness of God's work.

The point of this story was to teach us all to find our song. Once you have your song, it will be with you your entire life, as demonstrated in the story. Figure out what you want to do with your life, but have fun with it at the same time. Find your song. Change the world. Make the difference that will change the world forever.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this story! It shows the power of music - music was the way to reach into the very soul of a person.

    You are lucky to have Rev as your teacher, and I am so glad she shared this story with you.

    I also like how you say that we all need to find our own song. Metaphorically, a person's 'own song' doesn't even have to be music - it can be the thing that reaches into their very soul. This could even be their God given gift.

    You have many gifts, and the gift of kindness is one. I think you also have the gift of listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love my teacher Rev. She is one of my favorites. I agree with saying your song doesn't even have to be music, as all of my teachers expressed that throughout this week. I am still looking for my song, but I feel like I am getting closer than ever. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment.

      Delete
    2. I have a lot of favorite teachers, though, so don't worry!

      Delete