Mar 8, 2013

Animal Rescue

Picture from http://www.arcataanimalhospital.com
Not everybody enjoys sorting cans. Some people would rather donate and be done with it, and some people don't serve at all. Everyone has a different way of serving. One of my favorites, though, is animal rescue. It could be any kind, including volunteering at a local pound or animal shelter. Here in Atlanta, a great place to work is the Humane Society. These loving people take in stray or abandoned animals, take care of them, and sell them out again to loving families that will take care if them. I have visited twice before, and it is a wonderful place I will defiantly try to work at again. They take care if dogs- big and small- and cats. Another thing to do is small dog rescue. This is working at a local pet shop on one of those days where they put the dogs outside in pens to attract coustemors and find homes for the dogs. If you are not a dog person, they usually let you take care of the cats, too. I had a great experience with this, and I will be signing up again soon. Finally, there are service dog centers. Canine Assistants is a fabulous farm-like center where dogs are breeder and trained to become the best friend and right hand helpers of those who are physically or mentally unable to help themselves. In the 6th grade, I got to visit the farm and get a grand tour and be an honorary guest in the middle of all the action for a big project I did. I realized how amazing it is that dogs can be trained to open doors, turn off and on lights, and more to help humans.

As you can probably tell, I am a big dog person. You don't have to be a dog person to do animal work, because there is a life of opportunity out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment