Oct 18, 2014

Daily Quote

"The only job in which you start at the top is digging a hole."
-Trigger Bill
There is no job where you are automatically at the top. You've got to work up to it. Even if you are an entrepreneur and will be the top of your new company, you will still have to work up to getting the company started. It will start from nothing, which is the bottom of the pyramid. The quote is kind of funny, because it's saying that the only job that you can start straight from the top is digging a hole. Of course this quote is saying that using a literal example. Sure, starting at the top and working your way downwards in anything is, in fact, starting at the top. But the real point of the quote is to say that don't try to jump straight to the top. You've got to learn and work and learn more and work some more in order to get upwards. If you've never done something before, you can't just try it the first time and be an absolute master. That's just not how it works. To get to the top of anything, you've got to work up to whatever it is, whether it be jobs, skills, etc. I'm going to pick on myself here for a minute. I'm a perfect example of imperfection, especially in the case of this quote. I tend to enjoy rushing into things. I hate sitting through learning sessions or watching the long tutorial videos. I just want a brief overview and then I want to jump right in. I'm a hands-on learner, so I don't sit still through lengthy instructions. I just want to get started as soon as possible! Some things I'm more willing to read the instructions carefully then others, but on the whole, I tend to jump into it and try to learn as I go. Actually, I do like instructions. As long as I'm getting them as I actually do what I'm learning. So if you wanted me to learn to do something, you would have to teach me each step as I do the specific step. That's just how I learn. But I do realize that we can't start from the top. And that's a good thing, because otherwise I might jump straight into something and not understand why I can't do it! This, I feel, is something important to remember. You can't start from the top. There will always be many levels you must dominate before you can reach the top of your pyramid.

No comments:

Post a Comment