Oct 20, 2013

Daily Quote

"If fear is cultivated it will become stronger, if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery."
-John Paul Jones
When you feed your fear, it will only get bigger. Fear can take you over and keep you from doing some things that might be really important. Fear can even push you away from the people you love the most. It is a big barrier in the middle of your day, keeping you from seeing the light. But if you feed your faith, it will achieve mastery. It will help prevent fear. It really can help you.
When I was younger, I was afraid of the dark. I would imagine these ugly monsters waiting for me in the darkest spots of the house. Especially the basement. I would imagine while I walked up the dark stairs a monster silently following me, waiting for the right moment to attack. I was always told they didn't exist, and I knew they didn't. But part of me wanted to, just to have a reason to be afraid of the darkness. Later on in life, I made up a mental rule. If there is a light in a room, the pool of light coming from that lamp or what ever it is is a safe spot from the monsters. And I could be like a sponge. I can soak up the light, run through the darkness, and when my sponge full of light ran out, I was vulnerable again. So this worked for a while. Then I still wanted to get rid of this phobia, so I turned to my faith. I knew that God created light out of darkness so that darkness is merely the lack of light. Just as coldness is the lack of heat. Also, God didn't make monsters. God made everything beautiful to be the way it is. So even if there were monsters, they couldn't be all that bad. Then I just tried to suck it up and see what happened. With all of these things in mind, I could then safely go through the darkness, my mind completely 'unharmed.' Back then, I would turn off the light, run, and make a dive into bed as if there were skeletons on the ground. After, I would just turn off the light and walk to bed. Turning to faith can really help. Cultivate your faith, make it a mastery. Face your fears, don't feed them. It may help you with your most irrational or extreme fears, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment