May 16, 2013

Daily Quote

"Learning to trust is one of life's most difficult tasks."
-Isaac Watts
I think that this is one of those times where a personal life story of mine is appropriate. 
Not too long ago, I used to lie. A lot. Lying was my way of not getting in trouble, and then keeping it that way. My parents and siblings could never tell if I was lying or not, and when I said something they didn't want to hear, they assumed it was a lie. When I said something that they thought was not the truth, they assumed it was a lie. Most of the time, they were correct. But I decided that I needed to grow out of lying, and that it was just plain wrong. Perhaps I decided that when my friends lied and I didn't like it, or maybe there was other influences. Anyway, the point is I stopped lying. It was very difficult and it took a couple years, but I finally did it! Now, when I lie, I feel like it will just crush me from the inside unless I confess within minutes of lying. Here is where the quote ties in. Learning to trust really is difficult, and my family to the day still thinks they can't trust me. At school, I have established a nice strong anti-lying feel with my friends. There is one in particular who I really appreciate. She knows I really can't lie much anymore, and she quickly accepted that and learned to trust me. I just hope that my family will soon realize that when I say something, I really mean it. I was doubted just hours ago by a member of my own family, and I hope that in the future I can help them realize that I am trying my hardest to fix myself completely. I don't think it will ever be perfect, but just as far as I have gotten may be as close as I get. But it is ok. Trust is incredibly important in this world, and it is very hard to determine who you can trust because there really are a lot of lies everywhere. We all just need to loosen up a bit and put our trust into the trustworthy and our truths into everything else.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, Julie. It was very thoughtful. I am glad you are no longer lying. Remember, for your family and others to trust you, you need to be truthful 100% of the time. Even one lie will spoil the trust, so if you accidentally lie, confess it quickly to clear the air.

    By the way, did you know that Isaac Watts wrote Joy to the World? That is one of my favorite Christmas songs. He was probably talking about trusting other people as well as trusting God. Learning to trust either is very hard.

    ReplyDelete