Feb 19, 2013

Agape

Volunteering at a local Agape Center
(Picture from http://www.agapecc.org/Home.html)
One great way to serve your community is by volunteering at a local Agape center. The dictionary definition of the word Agape is this:

agape 2 |äˈgäˌpā, ˈagəpī|
nounChristian Theology
Christian love, esp. as distinct from erotic love or emotional affection.
a communal meal in token of Christian fellowship, as held by early Christians in commemoration of the Last Supper.

I have been to the Agape center before, and it is a great place that provides after school programs for students that live in impoverished families. Agape also provides day programs for seniors and disabled adults. On my first adventure to the Agape center, I was amazed at how wonderful Agape really is! I got to help the children with their homework, do some crafts and play games with them. I don't think I have ever seen more thankful faces, and not to mention the children are adorable. On my second adventure to Agape, again, I got to tudor a student with homework. The Agape program is very successful, because I found that the kid I was working with knew more than I did. This is a wonderful program. It brings smiles to children who are living in conditions that don't bring smiles. Here is a link to Agape Atlanta's website: 

Agape really is a wonderful place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment